GF4GF GoodYear Program
GoodYear is a gap year program where young people from rural and agricultural communities are taught values, various critical life skills and raised up as leaders for their communities.
Post matriculants are selected to undergo role model training for one year. They also act as volunteers for all other projects to be presented in the communities of the !Kheis Municipal area.
These students live on the same premises as our Palms Office. Their day starts early with personal quiet time, bible study, followed by the courses they do. In the afternoons the school kids arrive for the Brave Kids, Brave Heart, After School and Substance Abuse programmes. During holidays they present holiday programmes, camps or go on outreaches to the communities.
Those students who show strong leadership qualities and who express a desire to stay on are invited to do a second year where they serve as leaders for the new intake of first year students. The GoodYear team has two main functions: GO and GROW
Each student is part of GoodYear for 1 year and they all come from homes where there is little or no support, especially financially. Because of this, the centre gives them a stipend for toiletries, airtime and for food (Evening and weekend meals not provided).
The Palms GF4GF is currently struggling to pay those stipends. They are looking for sponsorships that will be given to the students as pocket money for basic needs. Usually sponsorships are provided from local farmers or business people, but this year with the drought the funds have dried up in the rural areas.
The breakdown of costs for students is as follows:
1. Stipends for Students from June to November:
* 9 x 1st years for 6 months @ R900 per month R48,600.00
* 1 x 2nd year for 6 months @ R1600 per month R9,600.00
* 1 x 4th year for 6 months @ R3500 per month R21,000.00
TOTAL STIPENDS: R79,200.00
2. Full cost of housing a student from June to November (this includes accommodation, transport, 2x meals per day, training & mentoring, stipend and team-branded clothing):
* 9 x 1st years for 6 months @ R4740 per month R255,960.00
* 1 x 2nd year for 6 months @ R5440 per month R32,640.00
TOTAL HOUSING: R288,600.00