It is Thursday – and I am dressed in black
Why would that be? What does the day of the week have to do with the colour I wear?
In South Africa, this week, we were overwhelmed by a relentless litany of abuse and violence.
We are calling out for visible symbols of our emotions and intentions.
A simple international campaign can help us do this. Worldwide, people dress in black on Thursdays in a longstanding movement for a world without rape and violence.
When we do this, we stand:
- In protest against systems and societies that encourage violence in any form,
- In solidarity with 1 in 4 women worldwide who face violence in their lives,
- In mourning for men, women and children who are harmed and killed in sexual violence,
- For awareness and information about the challenges of GBV,
- In the hope that a different reality is possible.
Today, in South Africa, this is more relevant than ever.
Next week, you too can be part of #ThursdaysinBlack
Please also support #WeWillSpeakOutSA financially in order to support this work